Re: Any Need to Depend on xfonts-utils?

On Sat, Aug 11, 2018 at 3:19 AM, Paul Hardy wrote:

> Should there be a Depends entry for xfonts-utils for a PCF font, or
> for any other type of font that can appear on Debian?  If not (if
> xfonts-utils is only necessary for building PCF fonts but not
> displaying them), I will also remove that Depends entry for
> xfonts-unifont and from the "Architecture: all" section.

The depends on xfonts-utils should be present when something from the
package uses something from xfonts-utils. The most common case for
that will be when dh_installxfonts is used as it adds code to the
package postinst to run the update-fonts-* scripts and only does
something if /usr/share/fonts/X11/ is present in the package. In
addition, it automatically adds xfonts-utils to the dependencies, so
it should not be necessary to manually add it.

> It would be good to document the cases where xfonts-utils is necessary
> in the Fonts/PackagingPolicy wiki page.

It is almost never needed to add it manually.

--
bye,
pabs

https://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise