[Pkg-fonts-devel] Packaging a font already provided by texlive?

Hello pkg-fonts-devel developers,

I've got a question about packaging a font already provided by one of the texlive packages in Debian system.

Fandol fonts [1] provides open source Chinese fonts under GPLv3 license (with fonts exception). It is now provided by "texlive-lang-chinese" package:

/usr/share/texlive/texmf-dist/fonts/opentype/public/fandol
/usr/share/texlive/texmf-dist/fonts/opentype/public/fandol/FandolBraille-Display.otf
/usr/share/texlive/texmf-dist/fonts/opentype/public/fandol/FandolBraille-Regular.otf
/usr/share/texlive/texmf-dist/fonts/opentype/public/fandol/FandolFang-Regular.otf
/usr/share/texlive/texmf-dist/fonts/opentype/public/fandol/FandolHei-Bold.otf
/usr/share/texlive/texmf-dist/fonts/opentype/public/fandol/FandolHei-Regular.otf
/usr/share/texlive/texmf-dist/fonts/opentype/public/fandol/FandolKai-Regular.otf
/usr/share/texlive/texmf-dist/fonts/opentype/public/fandol/FandolSong-Bold.otf
/usr/share/texlive/texmf-dist/fonts/opentype/public/fandol/FandolSong-Regular.otf

However, these fonts are not only useful for typesetting but also useful if they could be used by system fontconfig. As a result, I want to create and (co-)maintain a package "fonts-fandol" for them.

I'm not sure what to do next. I tried to create a pure-symlink package [2] and introduce "texlive-lang-chinese" as a dependency, which works. But I'm not quite sure if Debian will accept such a package.

Or should I package a completely new package (and causes file duplication)? Any suggestions?

Thanks!

--

Sincerely,

Boyuan Yang