Re: [Pkg-fonts-devel] location of woff files

On 04/05/2017 12:10 PM, Fabian Greffrath wrote:
> Nicolas Spalinger wrote:
>> All fontconfig-enabled apps go look for the resources there. As expected.
>
> And yet all fontconfig-enabled apps are expected to check that they
> support the format of the font returned to them by fontconfig (see e.g.
> cups-filters which currently only supports TTF and OTF but not Type1).
>
>  - Fabian

I expect many other apps are likely to show unexpected problems if we add unsupported formats like woff2 or eot into their resource paths without warnings.

How about, instead of expecting every app to write up a filter and blacklist system, we don't put new formats that are not intended to be desktop formats into their own distinct FHS folder? Developers and web apps who want/need them can symlink them from there directly?

The authors of these formats never intended them to be installed for GUI apps.

I'm struggling to see the point of having packages install multiple formats of the same font...

I'm keen to hear more about your rationales, though :-)

HTH,

--
Nicolas