Re: [Pkg-fonts-devel] Packaging the Orbitron font

[Not sure if you are subscribed, if so sorry for the CC]

On Tue, Oct 21, 2014 at 2:10 AM, Roland Hieber wrote:

> I noticed that multiple fonts from the League of Moveable Type were
> requested on the Wiki [0], and I have already started to package the
> Orbitron font [1] for my own needs (heavily based on the already
> existing fonts-junction – thanks to Andrew Starr-Bochicchio, my repo is
> at GitHub [2]). Since I have been using Debian for many years now, I
> would like to take an opportunity to contribute back to the project by
> maintaining this package (and maybe future packages) as well as looking
> at already existing font packages, squashing bugs, etc.

Thanks for your interest! Please create an account on alioth and click
the "Request to join" link at the bottom right of this page:

https://alioth.debian.org/projects/pkg-fonts

> So what do I need to do?

In general packaging new stuff for Debian works like this:

Decide you want to package something.

Let the rest of Debian know you are doing that by filing an ITP.

Review the upstream artefacts for compliance with Debian policies.

Create the source package.

Check it with various tools and optionally have other folks review it.
For font packages, lintian, fontlint and ftvalid are relevant. For
open source fonts you should also check that the various embedding
restriction bits are not set.

If you are a Debian member, upload the package to Debian.

If not, find a Debian member to sponsor the package for you, more info:

http://mentors.debian.net/intro-maintainers
https://wiki.debian.org/DebianMentorsFaq

If you want to help out with existing fonts packages and fonts team
infrastructure, some links:

https://pkg-fonts.alioth.debian.org/
https://wiki.debian.org/Fonts
https://udd.debian.org/dmd.cgi?email=pkg-fonts-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org
https://qa.debian.org/developer.php?login=pkg-fonts-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org
https://pkg-fonts.alioth.debian.org/review/

> Should I open an ITP bug for fonts-orbitron?

Yes, definitely:

https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/developers-reference/pkgs.html#newpackage

> Can anybody do a quick review of my package?

The package looks good to me, some things that might need fixing:

Add the ITP bug to debian/changelog.

Change UNRELEASED to unstable in debian/changelog once you consider
the package to be ready.

I noticed that you install the prebuilt upstream fonts into the
package instead of building them from source. I also noticed that the
upstream git repository doesn't have a way to automatically build the
fonts from source. It would be good if you could work with upstream
and Debian so we can get to the point where everything is built from
the source, including the *.otf, *.ttf, images/* and webfonts/* files.

I can't find any evidence that Orbitron is a reserved font name, are
you sure that is the case? If it is, it would be good to get upstream
to drop it, because that would mean we have to rename the font if we
ever have to apply a patch to it in Debian. I can't remember if we
also have to rename it if we build from source.

> And how does team uploading work, i.e.

Each font maintained by the team has a git repository, you can clone
it by doing this:

sudo apt-get install devscripts
debcheckout fonts-<somefont>

Then you generate a source package from that and ask a sponsor to upload it.

> where can I contribute patches etc.?

Patches to the Orbitron font should be contributed here:

https://github.com/theleagueof/orbitron

Patches to Debian packaging can be contributed by checking out the
relevant git repositories, pushing to them and then requesting an
upload by members of the team who are Debian members.

--
bye,
pabs

https://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise