Re: [Pkg-fonts-devel] Package for Fira Sans and Fira Mono

On Saturday 31 May 2014 11:34:59 Paul Wise wrote:
> Mozilla are not distributing the source for these fonts. The source is
> available though, see these sites:
>
> http://www.donotlick.com/2014/05/23/try-out-fira-sans-a-free-open-source-typ
> eface-commissioned-by-mozilla/ http://dev.carrois.com/fira-3-1/
>
> The source can only be converted to a TrueType font using a
> proprietary program that only runs on Macs. This means that Fira is
> not suitable for Debian main and must be uploaded to Debian contrib
> instead.

> http://www.glyphsapp.com/

Does this even matter for Fonts?  You can still simply open the font file in
Fontforge (a free software font editor) and change it like any other font.
It's not like a program binary where editing the binary is much more
complicated than editing the source.

I mean if they hadn't published the "source" (their editor files) at all then
would it still have ended in contrib?

Regards,
Rüdiger