Re: [Pkg-fonts-devel] Are CC-BY-ND fonts useful?

Hi,

On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 05:39:24PM +0800, Kan-Ru Chen wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> Recently the Taiwan National Languages Committee re-licensed some of
> their previous non-distributable fonts[1] under the CC-BY-ND license; and
> some users RFPed these fonts to me privately.
>
> I wonder that, if there is no other exception clauses attached, do you
> think these fonts are useful other than display documents on the
> computer? Like, do you think publishing, embedding, art-design,
> etc. with these fonts is fair use? I know this is a vague question, but
> please share your opinions!
>
> I'd like to package these fonts first and then others can try to push
> NLC to release these fonts with a better license (I would expect this
> will take a long time.)

Well, Japanese IPA fonts had a similar start when our government agency
released it in 2003.  Since then, people worked to get it as FREE in
2009.  So it is now in main :-)

Upstream-Name: IPAfont
Upstream-Contact: Information-technology Promotion Agency, Japan.
<http://www.ipa.go.jp>
Source: http://www.ipa.go.jp/osc/ipafont/ -- broken link ...

Here is the story (mostly in Japanese with some Engish)
  http://ossipedia.ipa.go.jp/ipafont/index.html

Good luck

Osamu