Re: [Pkg-fonts-devel] Bug in fontforge when generate i with accent in SVG font

Le vendredi 20 juillet 2012 à 18:18 +0200, Khaled Hosny a écrit :
> On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 05:28:45PM +0200, pecita.net Archive Automatic Signing Key wrote:
> > Hello.
> >
> > There is a bug in the package fontforge 0.0.20120101+g
> > It concerns the generation of small letters i with an accent in SVG
> > fonts.
> >   Example: for iacute FontForge generates
> >     <glyph glyph-name="igrave" unicode="i&#x300;" ...
> >   when it should generate
> >     <glyph glyph-name="igrave" unicode="#xED;" ...
>
> Your font mrks igrave as a ligature of i + gravecomb,
No, it is wrong. My font mark igrave as an i grave glyph #xED , not as a
ligature i&#x300. It is generated as #xED in OTF and must also be
generated as #xED in SVG.

> SVG fonts a very dumb font format, if you want to build fonts with
> complex substitutions you shouldn't be using SVG fonts.

Although the SVG fonts are not there to replace OTF fonts!
SVG font is a fantastic format because it is XML and allow
transformation. I permit to be mixed with html, mathml an others in
xhtml documents. It permit to create characters dynamically and turn
them into Glyphs that I can then use as editable text. It permit to
create complex animation. etc.
The only weakness of the SVG font format is to concurrence monopolies:
is it your preoccupation? In my opinion maintaining artificially bugs
for SVG fonts is not a practice that is ethical.

Regards,
Philippe Cochy