[Pkg-fonts-devel] MBF: fonts-*-gothic: fonts-japanese-* is not registered as virtual package

Hi,

(Japanese discussion at the bottom)

When initially discussed, it was not something I was watching...

On Mon, Jan 02, 2012 at 11:21:07PM +0100, Julien Cristau wrote:
> On Tue, Jan  3, 2012 at 07:01:07 +0900, Nobuhiro Iwamatsu wrote:
> > Hi,
> > Why are these bugs closed?
> > Is it because an item is not "must" at a virtual package?
> >
> Because it's not clear to me what you think the bug is, because you
> didn't discuss this mass bug filing on -devel, and because even if
> there's a bug it's in no way serious.  You can do better.

Thanks for explanation.  Since all bugs are forwarded to
pkg-fonts-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org, I am sending mail here to
discuss this on this list first.  If we pursue this, we will discuss
there.

I am happy to see this serious bug removed.

I am wondering the value of having ttf-japanese-* these days since we
are moving toward fontconfig.

If we wish to provide generic alias, we need to provide a fonts-japanese
package with orded dependency to existing japanese fonts and scripts
similar to 35-arphic-ukai-aliases.conf and 75-arphic-ukai-select.conf.

So installing fonts-japanese provides good default font set with stable
font name while having some freedom of choice for actual package used.

Then remove this odd update-alternatives from affected packages.  This
is the only font package doing this.  It is best to use standardized
interface.

Providing update-alternative was good idea when defoma was used.  But no
other language used this aproach.

I think what we need to request is removal of ttf-japanese-* virtual package
entry and removes all dependency to it for all affected packages.

Actual generic font names to use may be best discussed in Japanese. (see
below)

Regards,

Osamu

Since the following discussion is valid only for Japanese user, I CCed there and elaborate
details as below.

実際はfontconfigならフォント名を使うなら
 「日本語明朝」
 「日本語ゴシック」