Re: [Pkg-fonts-devel] Installing Unicode coverage documentation in a font package ?

On 18/07/11 23:26, Christian PERRIER wrote:
> Quoting Paul Wise (pabs@debian.org):
>
>> I don't think such a document is that useful for most people so I
>> wouldn't put it in a font binary package.
>>
>> I imagine one would only need such a document when starting to edit
>> the font, is there a use-case that I missed?
>

> Well, I think it's useful at least for people who might be wondering
> if the said font can cover some languages that use the said
> script. So, imho, it doesn't hurt that much and it would be sad that
> someone misses it just because we left it aside.

I agree and I think the use-case you point out is quite important :-)

IMHO the package description, the great work done with screenshots.d.o
(or what we manage to do with the pkg-fonts online font review) can only
go so far...

It seems to me that size constraints and possibly opaque or hard to
reproduce documentation can be factors to take into account but we can
make progress there and I think these are outweighed by making a font
package more useful to the Debian user by describing the capabilities
and coverage. Some fonts with advanced capabilities also have
specimen/docs explaining visually and in details what is being offered
by the particular font and how to access the features.

Cheers,

--
Nicolas Spalinger,
SIL NRSI volunteer - http://scripts.sil.org