Re: [Pkg-fonts-devel] license violations with embedded binary copies of GNU FreeFont?

On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 4:06 PM, Nicolas Spalinger
<nicolas_spalinger@sil.org> wrote:

> AFAICT pdffonts reads it from the PDF file structure directly.

Huh, I did not know that existed... nice.

> It seems fontaine doesn't do this, so until we dive into the lintian
> check I suggest we simply plug the little fontembedding python fontforge
> script into our review:
>
> I committed the script in my people/ folder (it's on
> http://utilities.open-fonts.org/ as well) and the small mods on our
> review scripts.
>
> Could you please test/improve/deploy?

Done and doing a full run now.

Can you explain more about the embedding bits and what each one means?
I think we need something that checks if each one is individually set
and then prints the explanation for that bit.

BTW, I had a chat about lintian, daca and lintian font tests on
#debian-qa last night. There wasn't any opposition to adding
libfont-ttf-perl as a dep but it seems lintian might turn into a
static analysis framework that can use multiple external (and possibly
CPU-intensive) tools, in that case daca would be merged and perhaps we
could get lintian.d.o to be running fontlint and adding a
warnings-from-fontlint lintian warning. This needs to be discussed
more and if anyone will be at DebConf11, I suggest coming to the
QA/lintian BoFs and talks. There is potentially scope for moving
puiparts, daca, fontlint, fontembedding, PDF and other checks into
lintian itself.

http://lintian.debian.org/
http://qa.debian.org/daca/

--