Re: [Pkg-fonts-devel] Font devs: source formats and software?

On 05/06/2011 08:39 PM, Paul Wise wrote:
> Is there anyone involved in developing/maintaining/creating fonts on
> this list? What do you use as a source format?

I'm both upstream and debian maintainer for dkg-handwriting :P

I use sfd as my "source format", though the original "source format"
isn't digital at all -- it's a couple sheets of paper with my
handwriting on them, which went through a tedious and painstaking
non-automatable process to get them into the .sfd.

I made a writeup of the process ages ago, which survives in some patchy
form at the original URL:

 http://noesis.fifthhorseman.net/node/54

Going forward, I'm intrigued by the fact that Inkscape seems to keep
poking around the edges of what they call "svg fonts", but i confess i
don't really know what that means (and i haven't looked into it in
detail).  Inkscape is an amazing UI, though, and i really enjoy working
with the tool in other contexts; i'd be happy to use it as my "preferred
form of modification" if it were possible, since i find the UI generally
more accessible than that of fontforge.

If there were a way to programmatically assemble a set of svg files into
an sfd that could then be manipulated into the various output formats by
fontforge, that would be excellent in my book.

	--dkg