Re: [Pkg-fonts-devel] RFS: ttf-washra-fonts, a set of ethiopic fonts

On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 5:46 PM, Eremit7 <eremit7@gmx.de> wrote:

> This comes from an unexpected direction, I did not thought of Unicode
> changes to allredy released scripts.

It is surprising initially but if you think about it some more,
expected. It isn't a realistic example, but think about a-z and then
the additional languages that require a-z with diacritics and such.
Then apply that to parts of the world where computers and Unicode have
only recently been applied. Then think about all those places that
used fonts for many years before their scripts (I'm thinking
particularly of Khmer and Burmese here) were standardised in Unicode.
For example, with Burmese, there are some variants like Mon and Karen.
Characters to support these variants took longer to get added to the
standard, for whatever reason. Then we need to realise that language
evolves, for example I seem to remember reading about the Indian Rupee
getting a new character instead of using the general Rupee symbol.

> Upstream responded to an queastion concerning the licensing, I will find
> out if it intents to adjust the fonts to the new Unicode releases.

Excellent, thanks :)

> If I remember correctly the discussion on this list did not came to a
> conclusion. Nevertheless this issue has time till the other more
> important is solved.

Ok.

--
bye,