Re: [Pkg-fonts-devel] Sponsoring a font package

On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 7:59 AM, Neskie Manuel <neskiem@gmail.com> wrote:

>  My name is Neskie Manuel and I have been working on l10n of free
>  software into Secwepemctsin.  Part of this has been to pacakge a set
>  of fonts that are available at languagegeek.com called Aboriginal
>  Sans/Serif.

Excellent!

>  I've packaged them with the help of Nicolas Spalinger and they are
>  uploaded on REVU[1].  I am looking for a sponsor for the package to
>  have them included in Debian and hence Ubuntu.

Quick review of your packaging/workflow:

Perhaps upload to mentors.debian.net instead, since REVU is a Ubuntu thing?

Change the version number; remove ubuntu, use upstreams versioning
instead of 1.0.

You include Aboriginal Sans and Aboriginal Serif in one package,
perhaps it would be better to do the same as upstream does (separate
packages) - that way you can use upstreams version numbers? The other
option would be to convince upstream to merge them into one source
package.

Looks like upstream has released newer versions.

debian/copyright doesn't mention the font exception upstream added -
see bottom of this:

http://www.languagegeek.com/misc/license/gnu.html

The maintainer should be the fonts strike force and yourself in the uploaders.

What format does upstream edit the fonts in? If it isn't .ttf then you
are missing the source code for the fonts. It would be nice if
upstream used fontforge and the .sfd format for them.

Any particular reason you renamed the font files from what upstream uses?

Please remove the homepage from the package description, the author
isn't really nessecary either.

The FONTLOG.txt doesn't contain any change information, so don't
include it as the upstream changelog. Please remove references to it
from README.Debian too.

Need to file an ITP (http://www.debian.org/devel/wnpp/) and close it
in the changelog.

I'm not sure if the README.Debian is nessecary since the bug stuff covers it.

--
bye,
pabs

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise