Re: [Pkg-fonts-devel] Adopting defoma?

2008/3/7 Christian Perrier <bubulle@debian.org>:
Quoting Christoph Berg (myon@debian.org):
> Hi,
>
> while looking over old orphaned packages, I stumbled over perlftlib,
> and as the most prominent (only) Reverse-Recommends, defoma.
>
> Angus, the current defoma maintainer, offered it for adoption in
> January. It would be nice if the fonts team would adopt it.

I seem to remember that defoma is a huge piece of Perl stuff that
requires groking Perl as mother tongue and a huge pile of aspirin
pills to deal with the ton of bugs in the package.

>From my knowledge of the font team  composition, I'm not sure we
currently have the needed "resources". Others, please prove me
wrong..:-)

Its lots of really bad perl (that I didn't write).  If someone had loads of time, it could be rewritten into quite nice OO perl or something, but that was the bit I just never had the time for.

The reason I kept it alive is because we still don't have anything better for the non-fontconfig users  :(

I've got a mostly working defoma-tex font auto-installer around here somewhere too.  I think it needs to be taught about the last few years of debian TeX repackaging though.

--
- Gus