Re: [Pkg-fonts-devel] Defoma Hints

On Fri, 2006-06-23 at 00:08 +0200, Mohammed Adnène Trojette wrote:

> one of the first things I wanted to know when I started packaging fonts
> is how the hinting works in defoma. As I've adopted most of the font
> packages I have, I did change most of the hints files.

I used the utility in defoma to generate mine and then tweaked them
where they were obviously wrong.

> Does someone know any good documentation/tutorial link about this or
> could sum up what is necessary to survive.

Perhaps the defoma-hints manual page or the docs in the defoma-doc
package would help?

> To give a concrete example: in ttf-arabeyes, AlMohanad is the preferred
> fonts for most applications. However, when I install the package, it
> never gets used as default (in Firefox, e.g.). More than that, if I
> install ttf-paktype, it is one of this package's fonts that gets chosen
> instead of the Arabeyes' one.

A while ago I had to read the source for defoma due to one of the
stylish fonts in ttf-khmeros being selected over the others, and I
concluded that the fontconfig support in defoma did not tell fontconfig
about defoma priorities. The stylish font was being selected purely on
the basis of filename.

Not sure about your other questions.

--
bye,