Mason Error

Mason is telling me my kernel doesnt support IPtable, Ipchains or the
third option...iptables is installed. Kernel version 3.16.?? (i
forget). Just wandering what's wrong here. Here's the terminal
output...

onyx@FBI:~$ sudo mason
found in your path or in /sbin. You may need to copy it
or add an explicit path to it in the following commands.
ipfwadm was not found in your path or in /sbin. You may need to copy it
or add an explicit path to it in the following commands.
Editor default of /usr/bin/vi taken.
Load IPs, networks and nameservers...Done.
This kernel does not support ipchains, ipfwadm or iptables!
---- Mason firewall builder for Linux                         ----
---- see http://www.pobox.com/~wstearns/mason/ for more info. ----
---- William Stearns <wstearns@pobox.com>                     ----
(This is release 1.0.0-11 - 2008-06-27 )

Also, this is my first time setting up a firewall on Debian, so if
there is a better package that's both powerful and user friendly, a
nudge towardsit would be a greatly appreciated thing