Re: Firestarter

On 20/03/12 23:14, Eric MacAdie wrote:
> I like Firewall Builder: fwbuilder.org
>
> - Eric MacAdie
>
> On 3/19/2012 10:21 PM, Bret Busby wrote:
>> Hello.
>>
>> As the Firestarter project appears to have been abnadoned and the
>> Firestarter firewall application appears to now be unsupported, due to
>> the project having apparently been abandoned, I am wondering whether
>> any similarly easy to use graphical firewall utility exists for Linux.
>>
>> Before installing Firestarter, about a year ago, I had been using
>> Smoothwall Express 2 (I had been unable to upgade it), but when I had
>> to replace the firewall, I could not get Smoothwall Express 3 working
>> - it was simply too difficult (Hey, that's an interesting use for a
>> now apparently obsolete acronym; STD = Simply Too Difficult).
>>
>> --
>> Bret Busby
>> Armadale
>> West Australia
>>
>> "So once you do know what the question actually is,
>>  you'll know what the answer means."
>> - Deep Thought,
>>   Chapter 28 of Book 1 of
>>   "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
>>   A Trilogy In Four Parts",
>>   written by Douglas Adams,
>>   published by Pan Books, 1992

Guarddog works nicely on KDE, don't know about GNOME.
If you're looking to replace Smoothwall, you can use a minimal headless
Debian. You can install Webmin for a Smoothwall-like experience, or
(also not Debian) IPCop which is the old, Open fork of Smoothwall.

Webmin makes iptables easier for new users, it also has a module for
Shorewall. Alternatively you can use Guarddog on another machine to
create an iptables policy and just export it to your Debian firewall.

Kind regards

answers to Debian questions:-