Re: firewalls and MTU - identifying problem if any

Sascha Reißner on 23/10/10 12:02, wrote:
Am Freitag, den 22.10.2010, 23:38 +0100 schrieb Adam Hardy:
I have a small LAN at home connected up to the net via a DSL modem on a gateway machine running lenny and iptables.

I have a problem with some software running on a windows machine on the LAN where the company who wrote the sofware say that there must be something wrong with my internet connection, but can't help any further.
You can set a log-target in your firewall for these windows mashine, so
you can see what connection the mashine want to do.
I think on

iptables -A FORWARD -s <windows-IP> -o <DSL-device> \
-m state --state NEW -j LOG --log-prefix 'WIN-LOG: '
I figured I could do that but the amount of traffic going through from this software is huge. Is there some sort of app out there that takes iptables output and allows you to sort & filter it?

This rule logs only the first paket from new conections.
So i think its log not to many.
But you can test wiresharke for sniffing.

OK I'll take a look at wiresharke. Thanks
Adam