Re: Blocked route LAN to LAN

Hi Makara

That would be correct
iptables -I FORWARD -i eth1 -o eth1 -j DROP
would stop routing packets between your two networks assuming eth1 is
plugged into your switch and eth0 is not

however as pascal mentioned this relies on at least 1 of the hosts not
having a route back to the machine trying to contact it, but even if it
can't respond to requests it is still open to potential attacks from the
hosts that can still send the requests

with your eth0 -> eth1 firewall rules you want to ensure that you allow
outbound but restrict inbound connections, and usually you would do
this by setting a default DROP policy on the FORWARD chain followed by
rules to allow eth1 -> internet, and statefull rules to allow internet
-> eth1
like (and this is just an example)
iptables -P FORWARD DROP
iptables -A FORWARD -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
iptables -A FORWARD -i eth1 -o eth0 -j ACCEPT

you would also want to put rules to block packets on the INPUT chain
too to protect unwanted connections comming from the internet
connecting direclty to your router