controlling p2p & bittorrent

I am setting up a gateway server/router and am working on traffic shaping
setup.  I had things working fairly well, but then I started a bittorrent
download of a debian iso and it totally killed other downloads.  (This shaping
stuff is nightmarish.)  I am doing egress shaping with hfsc.  Are there any
solution suggestions that do not require non-Debian software?

Here is what I am using now (plus a few recent changes):
http://wiki.debian.org/green/Router#TrafficShaping

It seems to be nearly impossible to detect p2p connections... but what about
using iptable's recent module to detect many connections with large packets
to/from a specific host?  Then, if necessary, I could just rate-limit on
ingress (local interfaces).

Does anyone have a shaping setup that tries to be fair where p2p is concerned,
with miminal/no ingress shaping?

Thanks.