Using shorewall

I am attempting to set up a home network router. This is my first
attempt even though I have been using debian in the place of windows for
a few years. I figured on getting the firewall working before doing much
else.

Hardware - ibm netvista box with an on board nic and two additional pci
nics.

I have set up shorewall with eth0 going to my existing d-link router.
eth1 and eth2 are planned for a dmz and a loc. I have used the setup and
configuration described in the debian wiki howto for shorewall.

Running /etc/init.d/shorewall check yields no errors, starting shorewall
either from a reboot or from ini.d I get the following problem (last 4
lines from /var/log/shorewall-init.log):

Setting up masquerading/SNAT....
  ERROR: Unable to determine routes through interface "eth1"
IP Forwarding enabled
Terminated.

Googling and searching archives suggests that shorewall is being started
before eth1 becomes available. I really need some help on this. I need
pretty detailed instructions as I am a complete newbie insofar as
networking is concerned

John