Re: firewall critique

2009/5/7 Zachary Uram <netrek@gmail.com>:
> Hi,
>
> Running Debian lenny. I run a web server and try to keep all other
> ports closed. Would like to get some feedback on my firewall. If you
> have any suggestions for rules to add or other changes please let me
> know. Also what are some other steps I can take next to further
> increase my security?
>
> iptables -A INPUT -i eth0 -m conntrack --ctstate INVALID -j DROP ;
> iptables -A INPUT -p tcp -m conntrack --ctstate NEW -i eth0 --dport 80
> -j ACCEPT ;
> iptables -A INPUT -i eth0 -m conntrack --ctstate NEW -j DROP ;
> iptables -A INPUT -m conntrack --ctstate RELATED,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
>
> Zach

Hi,

there are no default policy in your rules...you should set them.

you can follow this tutorials to improve your firewall rules

http://beginlinux.wordpress.com/2008/06/16/build-a-simple-iptables-firewall/

http://www.cyberdogtech.com/firewalls/

http://www.debian-administration.org/article/Question_A_good_iptables_tutorial

I found them very useful when creating my configuration.

--
Matteo Filippetto