Re: Policy routing on local packets

Hello,

Jason Voorhees a écrit :

I have a linux box with multiple ip addresses:

eth0 -> IP1
eth0:0 -> IP2
eth0:1 -> IP3
eth0:2 -> IP4

All outgoing traffic is using IP1 as source address. But now I want to use a different IP address (IP1, IP2, IP3 or IP4) as the source address for all smtp outgoing packets locally generated in my linux box.

I decided to mark such packets like this:

iptables -t mangle -A PREROUTING -p tcp --dport 25 -j MARK --set-mark 0x19

This won't help for two reasons. First, the PREROUTING chains only catch incoming packets, not locally genenerated packets (except on the loopback interface). Locally genenerated packets hit the OUTPUT and POSTROUTING chains. Second, source address selection occurs before the packet hits the iptables chains, so mark-based routing can only change the output interface and next hop, not the source address.

You have two options. Set the desired source address in the SMTP applications if such option is available. Or use an iptables rule with the SNAT target in the POSTROUTING chain to change the source address of outgoing SMTP packets.