New User

Hi, new to the list, old to Debian.

I've been using ipcop for a long time but decided that I might as well use a real system since I have more that I would like to do than just ipcop level stuff.

Question:
I have a Pentium 450 (darn small) that I'm thinking of using for a firewall in my home (relatively low traffic). I think this might be OK, previously I used a 500MHz Via chipset computer.

It's biggest problem may be that it won't support fast ethernet or Gig-e network traffic between subnets at speed. How big of a CPU do I need for 100MB or 1GB network traffic?