Re: iptables not working on Etch AMD64 (same rule works on Sarge i686)

On 2007-10-23 Bryn Moslow wrote:
> Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
> target     prot opt source           destination
> DROP       udp  --  anywhere         anywhere          udp dpt:sunrpc
[...]
> rpcinfo -p n.n.n.n
> No remote programs registered.
[...]
> PORT    STATE         SERVICE
> 111/udp open|filtered rpcbind
[...]
> I've tried turning the DROP into a LOG (level debug) and don't see any
> logging entries either. What am I missing?

That RPC uses TCP as well as UDP.

The output of nmap shows that your UDP filter is working just fine.
However, since "rpcinfo -p" uses TCP the rule simply doesn't apply.
And I seriously doubt that the rule works on i686.

iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 111 -j REJECT --reject-with tcp-reset

Besides, blacklisting ports is a bad idea. Whitelist what you want to
allow, and reject everything else.

Regards
Ansgar Wiechers
--
"The Mac OS X kernel should never panic because, when it does, it
seriously inconveniences the user."