Re: Load balancing SMTP servers

If you really want to load balance the servers properly, use a dedicated
load balancer implementing investigation of system load before deciding who
to pass the packet to. There's no guarantee with DNS load balancing that
client A won't get server A, while client B gets server B, both caching DNS
for a while and client A generating many times the amount of work client B
does. If you have extremely unbalanced client load, assigning a random
server via NAT when establishing new connections may work better for you,
given that you don't need to track state beyond a single connection.

HTH,

Felix