Re: ssh connection survives reboot of stateful iptables router

also sprach Pascal Hambourg <pascal.mail@plouf.fr.eu.org> [2006.07.04.1222 +0200]:
> >  -A INPUT -m conntrack --ctstate RELATED,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
> >  -A INPUT -m conntrack --ctstate NEW -p tcp --syn -j open-tcp-ports
> >  -A INPUT -m conntrack --ctstate NEW -p udp -j open-udp-ports
> >
> >  -A open-tcp-ports --dport 22 -j ACCEPT
>
> Yes. You just need to add the protocol match (-p tcp) again, because the
> --dport match is valid only with TCP and UDP.

Right. One other question before I go and try out what I learnt
today: on the basis that it's not okay to drop bad packets before
accepting good packets, the following would not be okay even though
they're logically equivalent?

  accept ESTABLISHED,RELATED
  drop INVALID
  accept NEW --dport ssh --syn
  drop

and

  accept ESTABLISHED,RELATED
  drop INVALID
  drop ! NEW
  drop ! --syn
  accept --dport ssh
  drop

?

Thanks guys for your patience.

... and I thought I had moderately understood this stuff.

`. `'`

"an intellectual is someone who has found
 something more interesting than sex."
                                                      -- edgar wallace