Re: fw newb, locking oneself out, unroutable addresses

On Mon, Jan 23, 2006 at 01:02:16PM +1100, Daniel Pittman wrote:
> gcrimp@vcn.bc.ca writes:
>
> G'day.
>
> > I want to set up a firewall to protect my home network.  I'm a little
> > paranoid about a warning I read in the Securing Debian howto.  It says that
> > misusing iptables "[o]ne can even manage to lock himself out of the computer
> > who's keyboard is under his fingers."  Can anyone tell me what iptables rule
> > set could lead to being locked out at the console?  Does console access go
> > through the "lo" interface?
>
> That warning, presumably, is (badly worded, and) about locking your self
> out if you use SSH or something to access the server.  The local,
> physically connected keyboard does *not* touch the network at all.

I'm not so sure about that.  What I quoted from the howto is itself a quote
from /usr/share/doc/iptables/README.Debian.  A more complete quote is:

    "The iptables package consists of a set of powerful packet filtering
     administration tools for netfilter. The tools can easily be misused,
     causing enormous amounts of grief by completely cripple network access
     to a computer system. It is not terribly uncommon for a remote system
     administrator to accidentally lock himself out of a system hundreds or
     thousands of miles away. One can even manage to lock himself out of a
     computer who's keyboard is under his fingers.

I think the remote problem you suggest is already covered in this quote.  I
have to guess that the sentence I included in my OP refers to something
else.  Now that I have determined from where the original quote comes, I
guess I can ask the author what he means by it.

> >>From rfc3330, I got a list of network addresses that shouldn't routed on the
> > public network, and thus should be ignored if appearing as the source
> > address on a packet coming in on the public side of the firewall.  So
> > far I have, in addition to the obvious localnet, and the three blocks
> > reserverd for private networks 240/4, 169.254/16, 192.0.2/24, and
> > 198.18/15.
> >
> > However, that same rfc also mentions 0.0.0.0/8 as referring to "this"
> > network, and 0.0.0.0/32 as referring to "this" host on "this"
> > network. I don't get this.  In routing tables, does 0.0.0.0 mean
> > "anywhere" or some such.  Should I be allowing packets with a source
> > ip of 0.0.0.0 or dropping them?
>
> My personal suggestion, here, would be that you look at starting out
> with something pre-existing that takes some of these decisions out of
> your hands.

I did try shorewall when I first looked at iptables some time ago (a little
discouraged by yet another change in the firewalling, ie., ipfwadm ->
ipchains -> iptables) hoping to save myself some trouble.  But I found
shorewall to be as much work.  Way too many configuration files to be
bouncing between and a logic that seemed to me to be way more convoluted
than simply learning iptables.  The generated iptables rules as revealed by
-L also seemed to be overkill for my relatively simple needs.
Maybe I'll follow your suggestion and have a look at firehol, though.

I'm still wondering if someone can explain the rfc3330 description of
0.0.0.0 to me.  Doesn't seem to make much sense.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Gerald