Promiscuous mode

I'm sorry this is not strictly firewall related, but maybe you can enlighten
me anyway. I just found this kernel log message:

Aug 18 02:54:11 woody kernel: eth0: Promiscuous mode enabled.
Aug 18 02:54:11 woody kernel: device eth0 entered promiscuous mode
Aug 18 02:54:14 woody kernel: device eth0 left promiscuous mode

and i don't know what it means. I didn't do anything special, AFAIKR,
at this time. No suspend either, no shutdown or booting, just writing
emails...iptables didn't log anything either.

This is Debian Sid/testing, Kernel 2.6.17 custom,

/usr/src/linux r: grep NET .config | grep -v "#"
CONFIG_NET=y
CONFIG_INET=y
CONFIG_NET_IPIP=m
CONFIG_INET_TUNNEL=m
CONFIG_INET_DIAG=y
CONFIG_INET_TCP_DIAG=y
CONFIG_INET6_AH=m
CONFIG_INET6_ESP=m
CONFIG_INET6_IPCOMP=m
CONFIG_INET6_XFRM_TUNNEL=m
CONFIG_INET6_TUNNEL=m
CONFIG_NETFILTER=y
[...]
CONFIG_INET_DCCP_DIAG=m
CONFIG_NET_CLS_ROUTE=y
CONFIG_NETDEVICES=y
CONFIG_NET_ETHERNET=y
CONFIG_NET_PCI=y

The NIC is a simple Realtek 100mbit on cable connected to a router.