router and VPN

having the doubt that in a few days i will have to buy a new ADSL
modem/NATiing router/access point i read a few catalogues.
Some of them wrote for their stuff "up to n IPsec VPN connections".
with n between 1 to 8 .
Can someone explain why this limit ? (I have used for VPN only
OpenVPN and i have had success even from routers that do not say
anything about it) .
It is possible that the router itself works as a VPN server ?
 --
Leonardo Boselli
Nucleo Informatico e Telematico del Dipartimento Ingegneria Civile