Re: could you give any idea for my firewall script?

On 2005-06-07 kingofyuri@yahoo.com wrote:
> I'm makara, a student from Cambodia.I saw a lot of samples about
> iptables most of these samples not specific OUTPUT, and a little
> accept all OUTPUT by default. Could you tell me why?(I think OUTPUT is
> the most importance part. It protect the viruses send something from
> LAN to external).

The OUTPUT chain handles outbound packets from localhost. Packets from
your LAN will be handled by the FORWARD chain. However, it is futile to
try and stop malware from sending stuff by using packet filters. If a
box in your LAN got infected: backup your data and reinstall the
operating system. That's the only reasonable way to handle that kind of
crap, unless you want to do an in-depth forensic examination of that
box.

> And hope you give me any idea from my firewall script if possible I
> hope you tell me what line I shouldn't use, why and what should I use.

This list is not the right place to give you a full introduction on
iptables, but netfilter.org holds lots of documentation.

Regards
Ansgar Wiechers
--
"All vulnerabilities deserve a public fear period prior to patches
becoming available."