Security risk with firestarter

Sorry if I am missing something, but it appears that firestarter can only be configured for ppp if a link is already active: on my system it cannot detect the ppp0 interface otherwise.

But that surely requires on open unprotected connection, at least until the firestarter wizard has completed and started the firewall?

I have another problem with this first attempt to get firestarter running: all the options in the Policy menu are "greyed out" and all the otherways of customizing rules are also inactive, but that presumably is a different issue. This is under debian sarge.

ael