Firestarter 1.0.3 Policy modification greyed out?

I have just tried Firestarter but discover that I cannot Add or remove rules using the Policy tab or menu: the Add Rule|Remove Rule |Edit Rule options are all greyed out. I guess this might be a permissions problem, but I have not been able to track it down. And neither Googling nor searching the list archives revealed anything promising.

All the /etc/firestarter,
/usr/share/gconf/schemas/firestarter.schemas,
and friends seem to have sane permissions (writable by root).

This is firestarter-1.0.3-1.1 under sarge, and it appeared to install properly without errors. I am probably missing something trivial. Any suggestions?

ael

PS. I should probably have said that firestarter is working: I just want to add some rules to modify what is output. I realise that I could do that by writing them directly into the appropriate files, but I turned to firestarter to reduce the work involved in maintaining my own rules for iptables :-)