Syslog no longer logging firewall packets

Hi folks:

Last night my syslog stopped logging rejected and dropped packets
to /var/log/syslog.  They're still being sent to my console however.  The last
occurance of a packet being logged in syslog happens soon before (2 mins)
this log entry:

[date] [name] exiting on signal 15
[date] [name] syslogd 1.4.1#17: restart.

Now I was tweaking the firewall around the time that it went pear shaped but I
wasn't fiddling with the log levels.  I've returned to the pre-pear shaped
config with no change even after a shorewall and syslog restart.

I've even reinstalled the syslog package.

Syslog is still logging other occurrances and the partition is only 14% full.

I am using an up-to-date debian stable.

Suggestions?

skribe
--