Re: Simple IP-Forwarding problem

Hi Dave,
thank you for your quick response.

I have tried your suggestion, but the connection still does not work.
I think the Problem is the path from the destination-server back to the client.

I'm no expert, so correct me if I'm wrong but as far as I know DNAT rewrites only the destination Adress, but the source adress stays the same - and at the time where the destination-server tries to send a response to the source-adress (still my pc) the connection can not be established, due to firewall restrictions.

My PC (50.0.0.1)     Server (100.0.0.1)   Destination (150.0.0.1)
Request:
SRC=50.0.0.1
DST=100.0.0.1:20001
                     Translation & Forwarding
                     SRC=50.0.0.1
                     DST=150.0.0.1:22
                                           Incoming Request
                                           SRC=50.0.0.1
                                           DST=150.0.0.1:22 -> Works

                                           Response
                                           SRC=150.0.0.1
                                           DST=50.0.0.1
                                               ^^ -> No direct
                                                     connection possible

In my optionen iptables has to do a complete Masquerading, so that
the path back to the client is also NATed.

My PC (50.0.0.1)     Server (100.0.0.1)   Destination (150.0.0.1)
Request:
SRC=50.0.0.1
DST=100.0.0.1:20001
                     Translation & Forwarding
                     SRC=100.0.0.1
                     DST=150.0.0.1:22
                                           Incoming Request
                                           SRC=100.0.0.1
                                           DST=150.0.0.1:22 -> Works

                                           Response
                                           SRC=150.0.0.1
                                           DST=100.0.0.1 -> Ok
                     Translation & Forwarding
                     SRC=100.0.0.1
                     DST=50.0.0.1
Client gets Response:
SRC=100.0.0.1
DST=50.0.0.1

The Problem is that i dont know how i can do SNAT and DNAT at the same time and I can't use static Entries for the back-path, becourse the IP-address of the client is dynamic.

Do you have any ideas?

Thanks & greetings,
	-Marc-