Re: simple ip_forward didn't work

Guenter.Sprakties@team4.de wrote:

The tests were made by one windows machine per internal subnet. Ifconfig shows that all was up and running with the right value, route looks good also. We could ping our test machines in both subnets as well as they could ping the server. After this we tried ip_forward by echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward and tried to ping one windows machine from each other. Didn't work. After testing we achieve the following picture:

- Win client1 (172 subnet) could ping the server on the server's 172 subnet address - Win client2 (192 subnet) could ping the server on it's 172 and its 192 subnet address
- no client could ping the 212 address
- setting of ip_forward to 0 or 1 had no influence to our results

So basically you turned forwarding on and it doesn't work. You probably thought of these already but it's all I can think of ATM...

Did you set your FORWARD chain policy to DROP and forget to allow the traffic to/from your subnets? Do you have a logging rule in place for packets dropped in the FORWARD chain, and if so is it logging anything?

Also note that in Debian echo "1" > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward can also be achieved by setting ip_forward=yes in /etc/network/options.

-Nathan