Re: User-defined chains

On Sunday, 13.02.2005 at 10:58 +0100, Jimmy B wrote:

> Hey list!
> I'm just starting to learn about iptables and wonder about user-defined
> chains. I've read some HOW-TO's and many seem to use them quite alot.
> But it seems to me it would be easier not to, what is the advantage with
> user-dined chains? It seems to me that the default ones would be enough.
> Any hints? Or directions to good resources on the subject?

It makes some things easier.

For example, whenever I drop anything, I also want to log the fact that
I have dropped it.  So, I have a chain called DROPLOG.  This sends some
logging info to syslog, then does a DROP.  In this way, whenever I get
to a place where I would normally do a DROP, I send the packets to
DROPLOG instead ...

Dave.
--
Dave Ewart - davee@sungate.co.uk - jabber: davee@jabber.org