Re: Path MTU (was: RE:)

--- Phil Dyer <phil.dyer@cox.net> wrote:

> Mike Mestnik wrote:
>
> >> mac address changes at every hop. The mac is *always* going to be
> your
>
> > Assuming you could, do the imposible and, find out what the original
> mac
> > was.  (We seam to agree)You can't send a pkt to a mac address not on
> your
> > local network.
>
> I can only deal with the possible.
>
> >> next-hop router's address. No use sending it back to it, it doesn't
>
> > Not next-hop, where talking about source MAC, the last(previous)-hop.
>
> OK. Talking again about a stub net. The last router to touch the packet
> would be the router that all packets for your net come in on and go out
> on. It's the same router. outgoing Next hop and incoming prev hop are
> the same router. Semantics.

I was talking about changing/assigning Next-hop = Previous-hop.  In this
case Next-hop would be on another interface, else we act normaly.

> >> care.
> >>
> > What do you mean by care?  If I take you literaly, that router cared
> enuff
> > to send us the original pkt.  The idea is the host(router) that gave
> us
> > the pkt had a reverse route for the IP.  This MUST be true
> > since(other-wise) that router should/would have been the one to red
> flag
> > the pkt.
> >
> What information are you going to send that router? Are you going to
Not the router.  See we can't send a pkt directly to the host that made
the original pkt.  We can only try our best to convay that it must use a
diffrent route, I'm not sure a simple REJECT would do this.

> tell it that it sent you a packet it shouldn't have? What type of
> packet? Are you going to send an icmp dest unreachable? The router is
> forwarding packets. It's not the originator of the packet and if you
> send it a icmp dest unr. back to it, it's going to discard the packet.
> It simply won't know what you are talking about and drop the packet.

Your assuming the pkt is spoofed.  There are perfectly legit reasons why a
pkt would not have the same reverse route.

> > In cases where that router made a mistake it would/might send the
> reject
> > pkt back to us.  In these cases we can do one of two things, keep
> state
> > and see that we can just drop this pkt or subtract one from the
> > TTL(eventualy it will be out of time) and bounce it back.
>
> OK, here's my last on this. Let's have a scenario that is pretty common.
> udp packet with a spoofed source address. That's spoofed IP address. The
> packet is sent from the originating host and travels along the net thru
> routers that care about *1* thing - destination. They look at the
Your correct.  This won't work if other routers don't do this.  ISPs
should be preforming this step for it's customers.  In that case a
REJECT(admin prohib) would be best.

> destination address and forward the packet out the right interface.
> Period. It moves along the net and finally gets to your network and hits
> your debian firewall, which is forwarding for an internal LAN. You are a
> firewall and you look at the source address and note that it says it's
> coming from your internal net, however it is coming in on the external
Hopefully your internal net uses public addresses that any one else could
be using.