Re: Path MTU (was: RE:)

--- Phil Dyer <phil.dyer@cox.net> wrote:

> Mike Mestnik wrote:
>
> >> My point is: how do you send packets back to the sender if the packet
> >> came in on a connected interface that does not host the network that
> it
>
> > The packet came in.  There should be a MAC(ethernet) address that it
> came
> > from.
>
> mac address changes at every hop. The mac is *always* going to be your
Assuming you could, do the imposible and, find out what the original mac
was.  (We seam to agree)You can't send a pkt to a mac address not on your
local network.

> next-hop router's address. No use sending it back to it, it doesn't
Not next-hop, where talking about source MAC, the last(previous)-hop.

> care.

What do you mean by care?  If I take you literaly, that router cared enuff
to send us the original pkt.  The idea is the host(router) that gave us
the pkt had a reverse route for the IP.  This MUST be true
since(other-wise) that router should/would have been the one to red flag
the pkt.

In cases where that router made a mistake it would/might send the reject
pkt back to us.  In these cases we can do one of two things, keep state
and see that we can just drop this pkt or subtract one from the
TTL(eventualy it will be out of time) and bounce it back.