Re: iptables: reading counters

On Sat, Jan 08, 2005 at 08:00:44PM -0800, Mike Mestnik wrote:

> --- Marcin Owsiany <porridge@debian.org> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Jan 07, 2005 at 10:00:36PM -0800, Mike Mestnik wrote:
> > > See '-n' in most any man page(including iptables).  Then use DNS or
> > > hosts/networks/services for your host/net/port name resolving.
> >
> > Again, this is not a problem of symbolic vs numerical address matching.
> > See my other post..

http://www.netfilter.org/patch-o-matic/pom-extra.html

<quote>
Add comment match for attaching comments to rules
Author: Brad Fisher <brad@info-link.net>

This option adds CONFIG_IP_NF_MATCH_COMMENT, which supplies a comment
match module.  This match allows you to add comments (up to 256 characters)
to any rule.

Supported options:
--comment COMMENT

Example:
  -A INPUT -s 192.168.0.0/16 -m comment --comment "A privatized IP block"
</quote>

Stable status looks promising and I suspect that this is what you are
looking for. Anyway I'm not using it and don't know which kernel version
it supports. So give us some feedback if you decide to test it :).

Sorry for answering to Mike's post, but I've deleted Marcin's original one.

regards,
   RT