Re: Unidentified subject!

Michael Sherman wrote:

Hi all.
Happy New Year.
I use debian for some time already, however I've never
configured a firewall. I tried to download torrent
files, but for some reason I can't start it. I figured
that if I used iptables to enable/open torrent ports,
that could work. How would I construct a simple script
that would enable me to browse the web and download
torrents?
<heresy>/etc/init.d/iptables clear</heresy>

My experience is that iptables is very very hairy.

Start with a nice wrapper for iptables (I use FireHOL which is very good, there is also Shorewall which isn't too bad). It should allow you to easily configure a relatively secure firewall and open bittorrent ports.

Cheers,
Jean-Michel.