DMZ question

I have a question about setting up a DMZ.  My understanding is that on a
switch layer 3 communication cannot happen with out a router, so would it be
safe to have 3 separate networks, (one for the internet, one for the dmz and
one for the lan) all connected to the same switch? My idea is that the
switch does not have the ability to connect the separate networks and all
routing happens at the firewall machines.  Any thoughts or suggestions?

   __________                            ____________
eth0  ___________
 (                       )              ppp0   | FIREWALL |  eth1
___switch-____  <-------->| FIREWALL |
(   INTERNET    ) <---------->   |        one       |
<-------------->|____________|                  |       two         |
 (____________)                        |__________ |