Re: down to the core

On 29 Jul 2004, Arnt Karlsen wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 09:28:55 -0700 (PDT), Mike wrote in message
> <[🔎] 20040728162855.21881.qmail@web11904.mail.yahoo.com>:
>

>> --- Arnt Karlsen <arnt@c2i.net> wrote:

>>> ..this would requires the presence of the loadable module,
>>> or _could_ the attacker provide it?
>>>
>> You need root todo module loading.  With root you can also change
>> kernel memory, so yes you could force a module to load.  It would be
>> simpler just to add the missing code you need to the running kernel
>> and then link it in.  None the less if you have root access the only
>> reason you might need to load any kernel side code is for DMA or
>> handeling HW interupts.  Since it's unlikely that an attacker would
>> need or even care to do these things the point is moot.  Bottome line
>> is if an attacker gets root it's ALL over, they can install any
>> software thay might need.
>
> ..so basically, this boils down to whether or not it is
> possible to grab root with some kinda netcat stunt.

It boils down to this:

1. Linking a kernel module can be done in userspace.
2. Root can write to kernel memory.

Thus, root can install a kernel module without the kernel module loader,
if that is desired.

Not as easy, of course, but still possible.

    daniel

--
I used to be the first kid on the block wanting a cranial implant,
now I want to be the first with a cranial firewall.