Re: pppoeconf problems

On 28 Jul 2004, Hector Scaramelli wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-07-26 at 23:10, Daniel Pittman wrote:
>> On 26 Jul 2004, Hector Scaramelli wrote:
>>> I have a firewall box running Woddy 3.0r2 that gets its IP address
>>> dynamically from an adsl modem.
>>> Two or three times a day it looses the connection to the internet, an
>>> ifconfig command won't show ppp0, so issuing "pon dsl-provider" usually
>>> makes it work.
>>
>> Right. Recent pppd needs to be told several times to just keep trying.
>>
>> Add these two commands to your /etc/ppp/peers/dsl-provider file, and see
>> if that helps:
>>
>> persist
>> maxfail 0
>>
> persist is already there as well as:
> noipdefault
> defaultroute
> hide password
> lcp-echo-interval 20
> lcp-echo-failure 3
> connect /bin/true
> noauth
> persist
> mtu1492
>
> I'll try adding maxfail 0 .

That will be the problem, then. 'persist' tells pppd to connect again
when the line drops, but without 'maxfail 0' it will eventually give up
on the connection and terminate.

So, adding the second command will fix the problem of pppd failing to
reconnect for you, I expect.

I had the same issue until I found that, and I have not had a problem in
years since I did add it. :)

Regards,
        Daniel
--
An independent reality in the ordinary physical sense can neither be
ascribed to the phenomenon nor to the agencies of observation.