Re: dns firewalls and mx records for internally hosted domains

On 9 Jun 2004, Andrew Porter wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-06-09 at 01:14, hanasaki wrote:
>> Hi, no mx records are in the internal server. I need to leverage the
>> external dns as much as possible.  It is a real pain to keep the two
>> synchronized with diff IPs for the same hosts and mx's.
>
> I am led to believe that bind 9 has this sort of functionality built in
> (though I have not tried it myself)

Bind 9 has support for selecting which DNS table to answer queries from
based on the source address making the request; this makes it easier to
do a "split" view of DNS without needing more than one server.

OTOH, that doesn't make tracking the same data in two tables easier.

Personally, I recommend that you write a simple "compiler" that takes a
simple format and emits the forward and reverse tables, including the
external and internal ones as appropriate, so you only have one source
for the information.

That shouldn't be more than half an hours work with whatever scripting
language you like. :)
         Daniel
--
Yes, I hate that. You spend all this time trying to explain to people that
they don't *have* to hammer nails into their own heads all the time, only to