Re: looking for suggestions

Maybe, thought if you install (dnsmasq,resolvconf,ntp) you are set.

dnsmasq has a build in dhcp server, just edit the config file to turn it
on.  ntp sets the time for the clock, oviously not needed.  If you
want/need a gui ther is x11 (xserver-xfree86,menu,gnome-core) or webbased
(webmin,<whatever mods you want>).