ports seem to be blocked

I have an application which is supposed to be listening on port 18140. However, when i try doing telnet localhost 18140 it says connection refused. I've tried running iptables clear, but that doesnt help.

This machine is on an internal network so i really dont care about having a firewall running on the machine. Is there any other firewall that might be installed with debian? Or any other reason why this port seems to be blocked? There are other ports which do work, such as port 22 for ssh.

thanks

Ian