Re: firewall newbie questions

On 10/04/2004 Juerg Schneider wrote:
> Me too. But at dyndns.org the host me a
> secondary dns for 15$ / year
> secondary mailserver for 30$ / year
> and beleve me: it's worth. My ADSL was broken, I've hassle with my
> provider, with the Swisscom, but finaly it was my modem cable. Not
> one email was lost.

yea, that sounds interesting, I'll take a look at it.

> > Since the package you recommented, 'firehol' has a note at
> > description, called: "The default configuration file will allow
> > only client traffic on PPP and ethernet interfaces.", [...]
>
> This is the right way. Close all, log all, open wat you need. [...]

yea, I absolutely agree, but that's not the way I'm able to start on a
remotely controlled machine kilometers away, since I _need_ some
essential services to log all and reopen what I need.
So my question was, whether installing firehol will cause rejecting ssh
connections from outside or whether it will not.

Thinking about this, it would be terrible if any script in debian would
do that per default, but it's better to ask before instead of calling
the computer center afterwards to restore what the install broke.

bye
 jonas