Re: Blocking the Welchia worm

On Wednesday 07 April 2004 10:59 pm, Mike Mestnik wrote:
> There are too many, would you like a list?  The rule you have dropes
> pings.    This won't stop ppl from trying to infect whole networks with
> the virus, only stop some strains from trying.
>
> There is the string match in patch-o-matic fron netfilter.org.
Thank you for the information.

This reference might be useful for anyone else trying to do this.
http://www.linuxsecurity.com/feature_stories/feature_story-148.html

I tried to stop the ping because everyone is reporting that the welchia worm
pings to see if there is a machine there before sending the malicious packet
to port 80.

The rule allows normal pings - welchia apparently is unique with it's size of
92.

Thanks again,
Steve