Re: What easy firewall front end for woody/bonzai?

Hi

I'd recommend shorewall, which is a frontend for iptables there is a debian package so installation is no problem, you'll find howtos for most possible network layouts on the shorewall homepage: www.shorewall.net.

Regards

Pierre Fagrell
lists1 wrote:

I have a woody bonzai install I could use a bit of advice on.

The network consists of a handful of public ip addresses. One of the ip addresses is behind a nat/firewall and is used for an internal lan of workstations. A second ip address will run a server that I need the advice for. The rest of the ip addresses will not be used at this time.

The second ip address, let's call it .2, will run apache and will have port 80 open to the internet (including being open to the nat/firewalled ip address for testing and administration). There will be no access between the lan and the apache server internally through a second ethernet card. The server only has one ethernet card. Adding a second card for internal access is not an option. Administration will be by ssh'ing into the box from the lan, so the ssh port will also be open.

Sometime in the future, the server will also need other ports opened to the internet, basically mail, bind and several others. I can edit the configuration file to open the additional ports from what I've seen from rule sets.

I'm on another list where others have offered to help me with the rule set to get my setup running. But I'm trying to do this myself, or at least get started. I'm finding the documentation on iptables and rule sets extremely difficult to understand. I've looked at some examples, and at several pages that automate rule set configuration, but obviously my setup isn't one of the options. I also don't know what to do with the rule set(s). Is there a front end to woody that I can use that will help me out in this situation? I've looked at some of the front ends, but some lack documentation or have stopped supporting the app, and quite a few don't have a woody package where I'm looking (the standard stable US/nonUS locations installed by woody). I've also done some google searching for frontends but the end up in the same situation, old apps or non-woody.

I installed the most recent version of bonzai, including the Xfce window manager iirc. I'll be using X only until I get apache working, and then will probably uninstall X, and if the firewall front end runs on X, it will be gone as well.

The front end may answer this question for me, but what do I do with the rule set once I have it? Put it in directory related to iptables? Run it from the command line?

Thanks

Bing.